Re: /X11R6/lib

On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 08:59:46PM +0000, Adam Olsen wrote:
> On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 09:40:22PM +0200, Oystein Viggen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Would it be true to the spirit of hurd and the /usr -> . symlink to have
> > /X11R6/lib be a symlink to ../lib?  That way, most libraries would end
> > up in /lib, which should sort out the problems people have been seing
> > with setuid applications like xterm for which LD_LIBRARY_PATH won't, and
> > indeed shouldn't, work.
> >
> > What do you people think?  I am considering manually doing it for my own
> > installation, but as I mainly use it to test-build packages for hurd, I
> > don't want to stray too far from the standard installation...
>
> Personally, I think using a union fs translator would be a better
> solution, because you could easily apply it to every lib dir you need
> included.  Maybe even with ${HOME}/lib, although not with suid
> programs of course.

There is nothing wrong with setting the prefix to / as the system default.
We currently don't have union fs (or shadow fs, as we call it), but we would
pretty much like on of course.

When we have it, you can use it to add arbitrary prefixes (like /usr/X11R6
to your X installation) as long as you keep the installation trees seperate.
Of course you can also strip prefixes.

"suid" would in this context change its meaning to mean: run as the user
owning the filesystem. Maybe. The exact semantics of such border case need
to be worked out carefully. (Roland suggested for example: Try to run suid
as it says, in case the user actually has permission to do so, and only if
that is not possible fall back to run as the user owning the underlying
inode of the translator. IIRC. Check Rolands original mail from
today/yesterday to be sure).

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de