Cross-compiler OK, Hurd boots! Next project - fix SMP!

This should be easy :-)

Well, I have been surfing for details and reading old messages on this
list.
It seems that once upon a time, SMP was almost fixed for x86, but then
the project was abandoned.
    Enter into the mixture this OSkit-mach, and I'm not sure where to
get started.
That is, is there a general preference on which mach is preferred? The
stuff I
have read seems pretty out-of-date. To that extent I have a few
questions:

1. Can gnumach and OSkit-mach coexist in the Hurd partition?

2. OSkit-mach gets ripped on for being slow, but at the same time then
   the microkernel can be smaller. Would SMP gains outweigh the
   performance hit?

3. Any suggestions or comments?

I have finally completed my SMP box, it has a Tyan Thunder 100 Pro
with 440GX chipset, 192 Mb RAM, Dual PII-450's, and a GeForce2 MX.
I'm running a SMP Kernel 2.4.2 with Debian 2.2 and XFree 4.0.2. My
Hurd cross-compiler finally works and I built my own gnumach ukernel
and can boot to Hurd, so I have a good SMP test platform.

All-rightey then... now where did I put my assembly programming hat...

Thanks for any help in this matter,
- Doug