/boot partition under the Hurd

Well, after lurking on this list for several months, I finally decided to try
installing the Hurd again...  It's certainly a lot more stable then back in
August.  However, I've run in to a problem with my setup.

I've got my hurd root partition set up on /dev/hd0s10, which is too far out
on the disk for Grub to be able to boot directly.  I've been able to work
around this by copying the files gnumach.gz, serverboot.gz and servers.boot
to /dev/hd0s1, which is my /boot partition for linux.  My grub menu file
loads gnumach.gz off (hd0,0) with the arguement root=/dev/hd0s10.

This worked fine for installation and configuring, but when I updated my
gnumach and hurd packages, the copies on the other partition do not get
updated (unless I copy them by hand).  I'd like to get /boot on the hurd
to "mount" up to the partition /dev/hd0s1.  I set up a translator with the
command "settrans -c /boot /hurd/ext2fs /dev/hd0s1".  Now the Hurd will not
boot, as it cannot find the file "/dev/hd0s10//boot/servers.boot" durring
the boot process.

I'm sure I can go back to the way I had it before if I recreate the /boot
directory and put servers.boot back in there, but that is not a very
satisfying solution.  Is this something that is simply impossible to solve,
because the design of the boot process requires /boot to be part of the root
partition?  Any good workarounds?

--
Steven Barker                                      scbarker@uiuc.edu

We would like to assure you that the guided missiles currently
converging with your ship are part of a special service we
extend to all of our most enthusiastic clients, and the fully
armed nuclear warheads are of course merely a courtesy detail.
 -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy