Re: apt-get

Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

> I tried looking at
>
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-hurd-i386/base/
>
> but could not find it even though version 0.3.19.0 is mentioned in
>
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-hurd-i386/Packages.gz

IIRC, Marcus pulled that inofficial version to clarify the need for a
new version of apt that includes Hurd support.

(This was perhaps also an attempt to put more pressure on the apt
maintainers which apparently have not taken Hurd-issues very seriously
in the past. I'm not sure whether the last part really works, as it
mainly inconveniences Hurd-newbies, which probably don't know how to
help. Seasoned Debian/Hurd users will already have an appropriate apt
on their system.)

AFAIK apt from CVS works fine so an upcoming 0.4 should also.

--
Robbe