Re: question

Am Fre, 24 Nov 2000 03:14:22 schrieb Petros Sidiropoulos:
> hi
> what's the difference between depends and pre-depends for a package? For
example when I type 'dpkg --status some-packege'
> there is  a section with depends and another section with pre-depends.

Hi,

please do not send HTML versions of your mail, thank you.

Pre-Dependencies have to be fulfilled before the package is "unpacked".
The packages a package pre depends on must be fully configured before the
package can be unpacked. This requires two seperate dpkg runs.

A simple dependency allows multiple packages to be unpacked in a single
run, and then configuring the packages is in order of their dependencies.

This is all explained in the Debian packaging manual.