Re: Installed Hurd successfully

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 10:15:58PM -0000, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> The PC I installed Hurd on has only 16MB of RAM. I think this caused
> native-install to fail because it ran out of memory. I fixed the problem by
> creating a swap space (64M) before executing native-install. I wonder if the
> installation guides should recommend this.

Probably. This is slightly complicated though, as you need to edit the file
/etc/fstab before you boot into the Hurd, then boot into single user mode,
set up the device file (and before you can do this with MAKEDEV, you need to
set up some other translators), and run swapon -a manually.

Probably native-install should contain some code to filter out the devices
used in /etc/fstab and create device files for them and then run swapon -a.
How about this?

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de