Problem upgrading HURD

Dear friends

I am toying with HURD for some time now at least as far as installing is concerned. What I do is usually to untar the latest tarball (gnu-20000925.tar.gz) on a hurd-owned partition and then upgrading using dselect or apt-get through a network. This method has worked in the past without problems.

However trying to do the same with the latest distribution has proved extremely hArd!!! In the beginning that was due as I realised to me using the outdated dpkg and apt provided in the standard distribution (I mean by that the one in official debian mirrors), which was producing a lot of incompatibilities with the libdnss.

So I got the most recent versions from alpha.gnu.org (or the CD-image which I downloaded too) and I added alpha.gnu.org in my apt sources list.

Indeed dselect and apt work now smoothly and I was able to get the packages to be upgraded. However a new problem emerged in the shape of a hard incompatibility between SHELLUTILS and the login facility which the new HURD_20001030 package provides!!! which freezes the entire upgrade process.

Any suggestions on how to proceed???