Re: Porting the Hurd to L4

On Mon, 06 Nov 2000 21:19:35 +0100, the world broke into rejoicing as
"Marc Mendez" <mmendez@paris.sgi.com>  said:
> I just was wondering about something : I ve already read papers about L4.
> It is technically designed to excel on the ix86 architecture : L4/i486 is
> then different from L4/iPentium.
> But Intel will soon (days or months whatever!) launch the ia64 processor.
>
> Will L4 be ported on such an architecture ? You already know that Hurd is
> presumed to be devoted to large systems first, then it might be a solution
> for the today's bottlenecks in Linux concerning graphics (=-D). The goal
> would be to provide such an interesting operating system on that platform,
> no ??? As I haven t read for a while a paper on L4, I m maybe wrong.

At present it is not manifestly obvious _what_ Hurd is likely to be
most "devoted to;" it is even _less_ clear what "graphical bottlenecks"
Hurd would resolve.  (Folks at SGI should have more understanding of the
issue than average, what with being the instigators of what became OpenGL
as well as the "souped-up" alternative to X11, D11.)

If someone that is interested works on a port of L4 to IA-64, then that
may happen.  Similarly, if interested parties work on a port of Hurd to
run atop L4, that could provide an avenue to Hurd running on L4-for-IA-64.

That _is_ a lot of dependancies, and it's most likely to happen when
some folks that want to run Hurd actually have IA-64 hardware, which
seems to me to not be likely to be terribly soon.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@ntlug.org") <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/>
Q: Are the SETQ expressions used only for numerics?