Re: R on the Hurd

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 04:43:42PM -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:
> This looks like a problem in how these binaries were built.  Please try
> building the same way from the same source on Linux and see if there are
> any problems.

I did it and I use it without any problems. All the tests included in [make
test] run without error.
I reported the Hurd poblem to the R developers, and got the following answer:

----- Forwarded message from Duncan Temple Lang <duncan@research.bell-labs.com> -----

[snip]

> Bad news is that make check fails saying:
>
> Fatal error: The X11 shared library could not be loaded.
>   The error was /home/zs/R-1.1.1/bin/R_X11.so: undefined symbol: R_GlobalEnv

Just a quick thought....

Rather than being a problem with X11, it looks like it may be a
problem associated with dlopen() when the R_X11.so library is
explicitly loaded during the initialization. Basically, that `library'
(R_X11.so) has to resolve all of the symbols to which it refers, and
many of them are in the R executable (R.bin). Perhaps the linking and
application in a way that shared libraries can find them.  Or it may
be as simple as the flag passed to dlopen() not being RTLD_GLOBAL
(although that shouldn't matter).

[snip]

----- End forwarded message -----

This probably says more to you than to me.
One thing is important: who moves next?

Thank you,
Zsombor