Re: Failing dependencies

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 04:06:23PM +0000, David Neary wrote:
> I have sorted out my teething problems from last week, and now have two
> working hurd installations - home and work. I'm trying to get things
> fairly nicely set up,

There are, as you have discovered, some rough edges, because it is hard to
stay in sync with Debian GNU/Linux and fix all the annoying bugs on the way.

> with a view to using both as development boxen in
> the near future, and to that end I have a few questions, each pretty
> small in their own right, I think. Also, I should say that I'm a Debian
> newbie, which limits my knowledge of stuff like apt and dselect.

That's okay.

> Anyway, here goes - hopefully someone will be able to help me :)
>
> - I'm getting some failed dependencies at the configure stage on
> packages that I can't find - is this normal? The three fails are CVS,
> lynx and bsdutils - they depend, respectively, on debconf, debconf and
> sysvinit, none of which I can find. Are these ignorable?

*clap on forehead* debconf! I knew I forgot about some important package.
It was there and vanished. I will upload it soon.

You can find bsdutils at alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian/ (which is structured
like any other Debian archive).

lynx is in section web.

> - /usr/include isn't found by default by gcc while compiling any
> program. I've had to add -I/usr/include to get anything to recognise
> normal glibc headers. Again, is this normal? If not, can I configure
> something to have normal include directories found?

/usr should be a symlink to ".". I hope you haven't deleted this symlink.
/usr is NOT a seperate directory in the Hurd.

> - My home machine has ppp access only to the outside world. What's the
> status of ppp support at the moment, and is there anything I can do?

Daniel E. Baumann <baumannd@msoe.edu> is porting the user level BSD ppp
thingie. Contact him if you want to help him.

> - One small, but (to me) annoying thing - ls --color works fine, so I
> know that the mach terminal supports colours, but when I turn syntax
> highlighting on in vim, it's monochrome. Is there a way I can change
> this?

I don't know. The correct terminal name is "mach-color", and that defines
the capabilities correctly. If vim is not smart enough to check the actual
capabilities, but just switch on the terminal name, it might not know that
mach-color can color. Check the vim source(?). Maybe vim is not using
ncurses correctly. ncurses is not broken AFAICT.

> - How can I set up multiple pseudo-terminals (a la Linux & FreeBSD) that
> I can switch between with Alt-F[1-4], or whatever? The layout of
> initscripts is quite different to what I'm used to - I'm sure this is
> probably the easiest of all my questions :)

The initscripts are set up like Debian, but not really used. What we run is
/libexec/rc, which is a bit dumb and just runs rc.boot and rc2.d. That's
only temporary, until we have a better solution.

Pseudo terminals don't exist. Use the scrren program in the package
"screen".

> Aside from that, I'm pretty happy :) I'm sure that once I get used to
> the way debian handles packaging I'll never go back :)

Don't take our current Hurd as an example. The one dpkg package is out of
date, and the other broken :) But apt, which is availabel at alpha.gnu.org
as well, works. It relies on dpkg for actual installation, though.

With dpkg 1.6.999, some spurious conflicts appear. Use --force-conflicts to
avoid them.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de