Re: XFree86 4.0.1 works!

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> That's a question I can't answer. The last answer I got was that "rpath is
> the right thing for this problem", and the last comment I got from a Debian
> developer on this (representing the majority) was "nothing overrides rpath
> so its evil".

If that is correct, perhaps that should be considered a bug in the
dynamic linker? The Solaris ld.so.1(1) man page says

     The default search paths are the runpath recorded in the object,
     followed by /usr/lib. The runpath is specified when the dynamic
     object is constructed using the -R option to ld(1).
     LD_LIBRARY_PATH can be used to indicate directories to be
     searched before the default directories.

To me it makes sense to search any directories in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
*before* the -rpath directories compiled into the binary.

/Niels