Re: MAXHOSTNAMLEN

martin.stenzel@d2mail.de writes:

> I am just wondering whether the values for
>
> MAXHOSTNAMELEN = 64
> and
> MAXPATHLEN = 512
>
> are correct for the Hurd.

They aren't. Its part of GNU philosophy to avoid arbitrary limits.
Therefore, the Hurd aims to have *no* maximum length for paths and
hostnames.

Everybody should be able to come up with a few misguided limits from
the past. Think: 8+3 character filenames, 640K, two-digit year.

> When compiling progs that need these values I had to exchange the
> variables with the values.

This will work, albeit the right fix is to adapt dynamically to the
length needed. If you need help with specific code, just ask!

--
Robbe