Re: base conflicting dependencies

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 03:08:57PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> I was trying to upgrade some packages in base, and had conflicting
> dependencies, in my wisdom(?) i removed a couple of base packages.
>
> shellutils conflicts with hurd,
> 	Im not going to try and remove hurd
> login depends on libc6, libc6 isnt available
> 	libc0.2 is in base though
>
> Do these conflicting dependencies serve some purpose or are they bugs?

Both.  They're bugs, but not easy to fix ones.  The conflict is that hurd
provides login and shellutils has a conflict with login <= someversion.
Unfortunately, the debian packaging system doesn't (yet?) support
versioned provides, so making shellutils happy isn't easy.  This is
really a packaging system bug and not a hurd bug.  We really need
arch-dependent dependencies.  Are those supported?  I don't know.

They also serve a useful purpose.  They keep you from installing things
that don't belong on a hurd system, like login, unless you force the
wrong things.  I find dselect useful for sorting out dependency conflicts.

HTH,
Steve

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)