Re: Looking for a project

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 02:23:26PM -0400, Ali Ijaz Sheikh wrote:
> I have been a silent reader of this mailing list for sometime now. I am
> an undergrad cs student and I'll be starting work on the my Honours project
> requirement soon. Plainly put, I am looking for a project to work on!
> I have looked at the Debian-Hurd task list, but am not sure if it is updated or
> not.
>
> Do you guys have any suggestions? anything that would be really useful
> that you don't have yet? (apart from ppp ;-). pthreads?

The most useful contribution is the one that is really done. In other words,
don't bite off more than you can chew ;) and we don't know where your
strengths are so making a recommendation is hard.

This said, I think Mark is currently not continuing his pthread work, and
pthreads would be very useful. I don't know if he made his latest snapshot
available, something is at alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/kettenis/pthreads.

However, there are other projects. So many in fact, I can't count them here.
I don't even know which one would fit for a Honours project.
Some nifty translator, SMP support, features needed for distributed systems,
I don't know. Maybe those are a bit too hard. You tell us ;)
Also, improving oskit is worth a lot (I say character devices). Or ...

Hope this was at least a bit inspiring.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de