Re: stupid question

The Seeker <anindya.biswas@usa.net> writes:

> I want to know how I can install hurd.

<URL:http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install> gives instructions
on how to install Debian/Hurd. These are instructions for installing
from a working Linux.

> and can i use the hurd kernel on my existing linux setup.

Depends on what you mean exactly. The Hurd does not run on/under Linux
but as an alternative OS (like FreeBSD or BeOS or DOS). You can,
however, access some Linux filesystems from the Hurd (they have to be
ext2, which is usually the case, and they have to be less than 1 GB in
size). Linux can access Hurd filesystems.

You will also need at least one partition for the Hurd's root
filesystem (~100 MB minimum, must not exceed 1 GB). Swap is also
needed, but the Linux swap partition can be shared with the Hurd.

Ah, by the way, the URL above also has a hardware compatibility list -
the main restriction ATM is that you need an i386-compatible processor.

--
Robbe