Re: Hurd Roadmap for Woody Release

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 02:22:45PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 12:34:22PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 04:04:04AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > >
> > > Some minimal ones:
> > >
> > >       * boot-floppies, some way of installing the system in an
> > >         automated, fairly standard way that doesn't require hacking around
> >
> > debian-boot discusses the new setup, Glenn McGrath was succesfully compiling
> > busybox. This will require more work, I can't even guess how much because I
> > didn't put my nose into boot-floppies at all yet.
> >

> >From what i know, the biggest problem with a native hurd installer is
> partitioning.

If that's the biggest problem, I am much delighted. The general road
to get the disk geometry is well known, and I think GNU Mach does correctly
report it. I can help out here.

> The boot-floppies currently and most likely for woody also uses
> libfdisk, its a small (20K) partitioning program. (see
> http://cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/utilities/libfdisk/ )

Well, it's of course full of linuxisms, but we can give it a try. Usually,
the arch specific stuff is getting the disk geometry and seek().  For seek,
we should use the glibc stuff, of course.

> I will have a go at getting libfdisk working in a few weeks, no doubt i
> will be reporting problems to -hurd.

It would be great if you could do the libfdisk porting issues (protecting
the incompatible stuff etc), and come back to the list for the Hurd specific
stuff you need to get it working (eg to fill the gaps).

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de