Re: SOLVED: bootstrap: panic: ... invalid IO size

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 06:16:48PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> writes:
>
> > > Why are ide disks on a fixed position, while scsi disks are always
> > > in a contiguous block sd0 to sdN?
> >
> > According to the documentation, such is not the case.
>
> Could you give a specific pointer to what docs you mean? Perhaps they
> need to be fixed.

At http://www.pick.ucam.org/~mcv21/hurd.html, the author states:

  First - Understand Hurd partition names

  Hurd uses different partition names to Linux, and this can be
  confusing. IDE hard disks are numbered in order, beginning from
  hd0. Note that the second IDE drive will always be hd1, regardless of
  whether it is a slave or a second master. SCSI drives are also
  numbered in the same way, in absolute order (so not necessarily the
  drive ID): they will always be sd0, sd1, and so on regardless of
  whether the two drives are SCSI id 4 and 5 or whatever.

This is, in fact, not the case.  The first physical disk on my machine
is numbered similarly as it is on Linux, according to the controller
and the master/slave status of that device.  My only IDE drive is a
master on the second controller and it is hd2.