Re: modems should work now (who was going to work on ppp?)

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 08:14:48PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> [snip]
>
> So, who was going to work on PPP?

Well, I'm not sure about volunteering to take the lead on this, but I
have started working on it.  It's going to take awhile so be patient.
I may come back to the list a few times for questions/guidance.

So far, I've got the ppp network interface device mostly wired into
gnumach (slip, too).  I've got a few critical pieces ifdef'd out so I
can see if I've got the build flags and dependencies mostly worked out
which I do.  The resulting kernel boots.  I'll have to look more at the
critical pieces to see what's needed to make them work.  The pieces
already done are mostly just scavenged from linux[1].  The critical
pieces ifdef'd out need to be wired into mach/hurd and have to do with
process management and ttys.  This is where I'll have to spend awhile
longer studying the source and my time is quite limited.  This is also
where I'll probably need some pointers.

All of this is just the first step, there's still the porting of the
ppp daemon itself which I've also started[2], then stopped pending
gnumach support.

Steve

[1] from kernel 2.0.36 which is the version of the other linux sources -
to reduce kernel drift incompatibilities to a minimum.

[2] started with ppp 2.4.0f before I started working on gnumach.
The linux code put into gnumach looks like about vintage 2.3.7 IIRC so
I'm going to restart this with the 2.3.11 ppp source available in potato.
Most of the work will be writing a pppd/sys-gnu.c file.  I have no idea
how much of sys-linux.c can be used.

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)
Buckeye, AZ   <sbowman@goodnet.com> <bowmanc@acm.org>