file permissions in latest tarball

Marcus, earlier this week I downloaded the latest tarball
and lots of files and directories have the group id set to
1000, so forexample /info and 5-7 other toplevel directories
has that group. Also X did complain about stange file owners.
(yes, I did unpack using the --same-owner and zxvpf options)

Group 1000 mean that /info (and /tmp and others I don't
remember) will have group membership set to the group
beloning to the first regular user that is created.

Please say this is not how things should be, because if
this is ok there is several things I have misunderstood about
file permissions.

Of course using debian packages and cross-install worked
just fine. Nice work on the X packages!  If just X would
run as a regular user...

--
Tom Cato Amundsen <tca@gnu.org>
GNU Solfege - free eartraining, http://www.gnu.org/software/solfege/