Re: Initial trouble with X

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 07:09:50AM -0700, Frederico Muñoz wrote:
> I tried to get the packages but there was huge dependencies problems
> (notably shell-utils 'conflicts' with login, and also pre-depends on 'login'
> or 'hurd'... that made me do several mistakes - the removal of basic
> packages that rendered my system useless... and I did a fresh install, since
> I knew more this time and could avoid several errors).

Maybe apt gets something wrong here... I will have to check the
dependencies.

The Hurd provides login, and this should be sufficient for shellutils.
But latest shellutils might have a versioned dependency, and dpkg 1.6.999
has probably some bug here.

Reverting to dpkg 1.4.13 might be an option for those who have problems.
Forcing the instzall of shellutils should be okay also.

> Also, when I put the ftp.de.debian.org line in sources.list (unstable main)
> it reports a huge amount of packages... that prolly belong to Linux
> woody... but if I specify binary-hurd-i386 apt tries to open
> ...debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-hurd-i386/binary-hurd-i386 ... Is that
> amount of packages (that include gnome, kde, netscape, Linux kernel,
> etc...) normal? If not how do I get it to work?

Everything allright. Those packages are binary-all.
It's not the linux kernel, but the linux kernel SOURCE. It'snot gnome,
but some hardware independant gnome data files. It's not netscape,
but a wrapper script etc.

> The solution was to comment out ftp.de.debian.org

That's absolutely unnecessary and not recommended.

> (after upgrading
> everything, the hurd to the correct new version) and make do with
> alpha.gnu.org... then I saw all the new X packages and installed them (I
> pretty much installed them all, except for Xservers, only installed mine).
>
> I had the following problems:
>
> Making the mouse translator (settrans /dev/mouse etc) it says /dev/mouse,
> file not found; I tried to do a MAKEDEV mouse but it gave me an error

Did you read my email?

3. Set up mouse translator

   This is a bit special. For me, with a serial mouse, this works:

   settrans /dev/mouse /hurd/mouse --device=com0 --protocol=microsoft

   (from memory). Read this document to find out:
   http://f77.nop.or.jp/doc/XFree86-3.3.3.1.html#theTable

> (MAKEDEV kbd worked); reading the Japanese page (Yasushi's one) I saw that
> with a serial mouse '/dev/mouse not needed'... is the error to be expected?

It does not say such a thing, and the error is expected.

> If not, what must I recompile?

Nothing, just follow the instructions.
For a simple serial mouse, use the above. For ps/2, replace "microsoft" with
"ps/2". For other special settings, see the japanese site.

> Anyway, the real trouble came later: I set up my XF86Config file, did a
> startx and receives an error message saying something like
> 'xauth: libXmu.so.6 not found'

Oh right, I forgot one step:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/X11R6/lib
startx

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting will fix this.

> Oh, and I sometimes get a 'default pager error: dumping blablabla', that
> keeps appearing in my screen (like a $yes) and I have to reboot the system,
> sometimes with the reset button)

Do you have swap? You ran out of memory.

> I'm sorry if there is info that I don't give, I was just hopping that either
> someone had the same problem and had a solution or if someone ever heard of
> this problems.

The shellutils problem I will investigate. All other stuff is easily
fixable. I hope you have more luck this time!