Re: Some initial problems to solve...

Brent Fulgham <bfulgham@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 04:19:24AM +0000, Frederico S. Muñoz wrote:
> >

> > Ok, I am using my Hurd system for regular tasks, I can read net news
> > but no mail (prolly have to tweak with exim, I never did get it to
> > work even on GNU/Linux since it insists on checking every damn host
> > for a domain name and since I have private IP and domain names && my
> > ISP doesn't has reverse DNS I can only have one IP), but here are some
> > initial things that I want to fix:
> >

> Note:  Check the configuration settings for exim -- you can turn
> this behavior off.

Well, it's prolly right under my nose but I really dont see how... I
actually had to install sendmail instead of exim in GNU/Linux to make
it work.
I set up my gaetway has the smarthost with a rewrite rule to make my
address change from the LAN domain name to my mail name... I tried
sending it directly but still no luck.

In the Hurd I fire up exim manually with exim -bd -q1m& and still no
luck, with or without smarthost, nothing get's delivered, only local mail.

> > - I *really* need portuguese keyboard support; I'm geting tired of
> >   writing !"#$$%&%/=) to find a |. When I go back to work I also make
> >   mistakes since I try to 'compensate' as I do in the Hurd, so this
> >   way lies madness indeed. Is there support? If not how can I add it?
> >   Prolly will need info on gnumach term specs and also some examples -
> >   like if it is possible to translate a linux keymap into a hurd one.
> >

> Marcus can probably help here.  I know he (or Kalle?) were able
> to get German keyboard support.  So Portuguese shouldn't be too
> much harder.

Yes, I'm working on it.

> > - The network settrans -fg ..... works ok, but doesn't stay up across
> >   reboots... since it's not defined as active shouldn't he stay?
> >
> > - I can't mount the linux partition (settrans -fg /linux /hurd/ext2fs
> >   /dev/hd0s2), it computes ok but when I try to access it it either
> >   freezes or says something akeen to the >1GB error (more info on that
> >   one tomorrow, I really don't recall the exact error)
> >

> Sorry -- can't help without more info.

Damn, I forgot the exact error once again :) Dont miss the the next
message, all is revealed :)

> > - fetchmail gives me a SMTP (can't connect to localhost Query=10)
> >   error after he founds there is mail in the remote server, when it
> >   tries to dl it; it's not hurd specific I reckon, since IIRC I had
> >   the same problem before in Linux; again, prolly exim.
> >

> Check your settings.  Fetchmail probably can't pass off to your
> MTA because it's not setup.

Yes, problems with exim once again.

> > - Several Debian packages are broken, i.e. they depend on packages not
> >   available... where can I get them? For instace, lynx doesn't install
> >   with dselect because, er, something doesn't exist (gain, more
> >   detaisl tomorrow, it's 4:15AM here, I'm really trying to still get 4
> >   hours sleep).
> >
> Yikes!  Don't burn out!

Oh well, I'm young :)

> > - After I do a 'login root', after the password it says 'mesg: command
> >   not found'; Yes, I know, I have to install mesg... but I can't within
> >   dselect... I will really have to check my dpkg ftp source lines.
> >
> This will be fixed when all packages are installed.  Did you
> install from the tarball?

No, from the debs... about that, if I install something from a tarball
does it appear in dselect? Prolly not...

Frederico S. Muñoz
fsmunoz@sdf.lonestar.org