Re: Hurd installation CD

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 11:37:11PM +0000, Philip Charles wrote:

> > After running native-install the second time, you need to reboot. Then:
> >
> > cd /dev
> > ./MAKEDEV hd1
> > settrans /cdrom /hurd/isofs /dev/hd1
> >
> Still not working.  I ran ./native-install twice.
>
> Rebooted (single user), ran export TERM=mach, and cd /dev
> ran ./MAKEDEV /dev/hd1
> 	ls showed hd1 had been created
> ran settrans /cdrom /dev/hd1 /cdrom
> 	this seemed OK
> ran mount -t isofs /dev/hd1 /cdrom
> 	segmentation fault

Did you do both? They are exclusive. settrans replaces mount.

> ran cd /cdrom
> 	/hurd/isofs: /dev/hd1: Device not configured
> 	cd /cdrom: Translator died.

Device not configured points at a kernel problem. Which version of the
Debian gnumach package are you using? Is your CD drive recognized at boot
time?

> Any ideas?  Frustration!!  The .debs could be copied from the CD onto the
> Hurd partition to get dpkg/dselect working.  Ugly.

It works for me just fine...

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 11:58:48PM +0000, Philip Charles wrote:
> I have had no luck in mounting an ide cdrom using with the tarball (second
> to latest version).  What support is there for mounting CDs in the
> tarball?  I suspect that if there is any it will be rather limited.

It's complete. Only gnumach and isofs are needed.

> I am proposing to add another utility to the installation CD which will
> copy the .deb file system onto the Hurd partition so it is accessible to
> dpkg/dselect/apt.

I propose to fix the real problem :)