syslogd, networking

Hi

I have problems running syslogd and some networking issues.

when syslogd is started at boot-time I get a
'syslogd: cannot create /dev/log: Protocol family not supported'

I tried to MAKEDEV this /dev/log but this also failed with
some errors sending (or receiving) msgs (Msg-Queue is it?)

(I think) because syslogd cannot be started /libexec/runttys
also fails  ('/libexec/runttys: waitpid: no child processes').

networking:
the kernel finds my smc-ultra correctly and I also can set
up a translator (/servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet) but I
don't know how to use the network now. I do e.g. a 'ping localhost'
and I get the error: 'Translator died'

thx a lot
flo