Re: new gnu-20001309.tar.gz -> now never bootable

Oliver Kowalke wrote:

> Hello,
>
> sorry - but with this new tar file hurd comes never up. The problem looks
> like I postet few days bfore:
>
> 1.) gnu-20000803.tar.gz :
>     - I was able to install and boot hurd without problems
>     - I upgraded hurd via dselect (ftp)
>     - after rebooting hurd hung :
>         ...<hardware detection>...
>         hd16 : bad access: block = 0, count = 2, blockend = 2, nr_sects0
>         end_request: I/O error, dev 03:46, sector 0
>         hd16 : bad access: block = 28, count = 2, blockend = 30, nr_sects0
>         end_request: I/O error, dev 03:46, sector 28
>         <end now hangs>
>
> 2.) gnu-20001309.tar.gz :
>     - I did a crossinstall from debian
>     - tried the first boot -> hurd hangs
>         ...<hardware detection>...
>         hd16 : bad access: block = 0, count = 2, blockend = 2, nr_sects0
>         end_request: I/O error, dev 03:46, sector 0
>         hd16 : bad access: block = 28, count = 2, blockend = 30, nr_sects0
>         end_request: I/O error, dev 03:46, sector 28
>         <end now hangs>
>
> I don't understand hd16! Maybe I should post my hardware config.:
> dual p3 500 MHz
> asus p2b-d
> 128MB sdram pc 100
> maxtor hdd 8Gb (primary master)
> maxtor hdd 6GB (primary slave) <- hurd
> teac cdrom 32x (second. master)
> traxdata cd recorder (secondary slave)
> pci ide controler (abit hot rod 100 pro)
> 2 x ibm hdd udma 100 on add. ide controler
> matrox g200
> 3com 3c905bnic
> soundblaster live (emu2k)
>
> thanks a lot
>
> with best regards,
> Oliver

Hi, just an hour ago i installed hurd for the first time using the
gnu-20001309.tar.gz and the grub image.

It worked very nicely, i didnt even have to specify "root=(hd1,0)",
"kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd1s1 -s" or "module=/boot/serverboot.gz"
as the documents saif i would have to.

All i did was tell it the root was hd1s1 and then i got the prompt,
where i ran ./native-install, reboot then ./native-install again.

Install was painless for me, for some reason i was expecting problems.

I probably should refrain from giving advice seems im a hurd newbie, but
it seems like you are getting stuck on your ide devices, have you tried
unplugging drives (and cdroms) that arent absolutly necessary ?

Also your hotrod card is really new, i would be very impressed it is
supported under the hurd, i would be trying to stick with older udma33
controllers if available.

Glenn