Re: Problems installing hurd on i386

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 10:54:30AM +0000, Philip Charles wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
>
> > hi,

> >     Philip> If your root file-system is mounted on /gnu (the tarball
> >     Philip> is this) rather than / the you need to use:-
> >
> >     Philip> kernel=/gnu/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd0s12 -s
> >     Philip> module=/gnu/boot/serverboot.gz boot
> >
> >     Philip> Another little confusion.
> >
> > 	Are you sure?  This is very funny.  Because under linux I have
> > mounted /dev/hda12 as /gnu and as far as grub is concerned there is no
> > /gnu.  In other words, there is no gnu directory under /dev/hda12.
> > There is only a gnu directory on /dev/hda1 and I have mounted
> > /dev/hda12 onto this directory.
> >
> > So from linux where /dev/hda12 is mounted as /gnu I get
> >
> > $ ls /gnu/boot/
> > gnumach.gz*  serverboot.gz*  servers.boot  servers.boot.dpkg-new
> > $
> >
> > 	There is only a partition at (hd0,11) so if I said
> > /gnu/boot/gnumach.gz grub will not find it at all.  Right?
> >

> When I looked at the installed tarball with Linux I saw /target/gnu/boot.
> In fact all the root system was mounted on /target/gnu/ and not /target/
> /target was the mount-point for the HURD partition.
>
> What I did was to move the whole root file system to / which made things a
> lot easier.  I was working with an installation ram-disk when I did this.

This is one of the things I wanted to discuss with you, and myu main cncern
with the CD's. This is how it is supposed to work:

mkdir /gnu
mount ... /gnu
cd /
tar --same-owner -xzpf ...

So, the tar file is extracted in the top level dir.

kernel = /gnu/boot etc is certainly very very wrong.

The next tar file will probably extract in . rather than gnu.

Oh, and the other thing is that I wanted to prepare a new and up to date tar
file for the CD. Maybe for the next revision.