Problem solved!

hi,

	Thanks for all the help folks!  I recompiled gnumach and Hurd
now boots fine without me touching my hardware.

	I run Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 on i386.  Most of you know what
problem I had before this - Hurd would not boot and stopped while
detecting my NE2000 ethernet card.  For the benefit of others, here is
what I did to get it working.

(1) # apt-get install gcc-i386-gnu mig-i386-gnu
This is from the stable archives.  These two packages are _very_ small
totalling less than 50KB.

(2) Download gnumach-1.2.tar.gz and gnumach_1.2-5.diff.gz from
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/base/
You can get it from your favourite mirror too.

(3) $ tar xvzf gnumach-1.2.tar.gz

(4) $ gzip -cd gnumach_1.2-5.diff.gz | patch -p0

(5) $ cd gnumach-1.2/
    $ MIG=i386-gnu-mig CC=i386-gnu-gcc ./configure --enable-floppy \
    --enable-ide --enable-ne2000 i386-pc-gnu --prefix=/gnu
    $ make

(6) # mount /gnu; make install

(7) Reboot and then use grub to boot with the kernel=/boot/gnumach

(8) Do all the setting up under single user mode.  reboot.  Hurd is up
and running happily with the network card.  Ping works.

	As is evident the above procedure is _very_ easy.  So there is
no excuse not to compile gnumach from within linux and try it out.
Stefan, I think it is well worth the effort.

	Also my original problem had nothing to do with IRQ sharing.
As James Morrison had said, it was an ethernet card detection problem.

	Is there a Hurd FAQ?  Maybe the above instructions could go
there?

Hope this helps.

thanks again,
prabhu

    Stefan> ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker
    Stefan> (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov) NE*000 ethercard probe at
    Stefan> 0x300: 00 00 79 85 4a ba eth0: NE2000 found at 0x300,
    Stefan> using IRQ 5.

    Stefan> So I very much expect the problem to be solved when I
    Stefan> unplug my network card :-)

    Stefan> I am, however, not planning to touch my hardware, I'm glad
    Stefan> it works as it is now. I have no direct plans to start
    Stefan> compiling HURD kernels either, but I may be in the mood
    Stefan> some day.

<snip>