Re: pmake patch

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 11:54:40PM -0400, Igor Khavkine wrote:
> Hi, some time ago Marcus mentioned that pmake needed a patch to work under the
> Hurd (MAXPATHLEN issues). I went through the code and corrected for it using
> dynamic memory allocation for all strings that were using MAXPATHLEN before.
> My patch is attached. Please test it, I have not tested it on a Hurd machine,
> for lack thereof, but it should work since it only uses glibc.

Thanks for you rwork, Igor. There is one glitch. You define -D_GNU_SOURCE,
but I don't see why.

You have:
-       if (getcwd(curdir, MAXPATHLEN) == NULL) {
+       if ((curdir = getcwd(NULL,0)) == NULL) {

Maybe this is why you defined _GNU_SOURCE. This is not necessary, the above
will work without _GNU_SOURCE, which is only needed to get the prototype of
get_current_dir_name. Neither is portable (but get_current_dir_name should
be used if available, something that can be checked with autoconf.
Unfortunately, pmake doesn't use autoconf). There is an xgetcwd
implementation in inetutils, which I attach. This could be incorporated.

After fixing this, the patch should be reported to the Debian maintainer,
who can add it to the Debian diff. He can also try to take it up with the
upstream maintainers.

> I think not having pmake was one of the obstacles in order to compile ash,
> hopefully that'll be possible now.

Yes, I will investigate.