Re: dpkg bug?

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 09:40:12PM +0200, Juli-Manel Merino Vidal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've downloaded all the necessary deb files to put a hurd development
> system working. I used a script posted here a few days ago.
>
> After the native-install script, I entered multiuser and then started
> installing all other packages I wanted.
>
> But, when I did:
>  dpkg -i devel/*
> and dpkg was processing libc0.2-dev-2.1.3-10.deb it said:
>  Bus error.
> And finished inmediatly.
>
> I then run dpkg to install the other 4 packages I was missing and ran
> ok.
>
> What happened?

You stressed the system and something didn't like it. If you can easily
reproduce it, you could let us know how or even do some debugging on your
own. dpkg -i * with a huge number of packages stresses the system
considerably, but I was able to install a few dozen packages on a bunch with
no problem. However, I used the ftp method and not dpkg -GROBiE.

There are some parts of the system which are not widely tested, and some
race conditions seldom encountered. The only way to track them down is to
stumble upon a reproducible test case and sink your teeth into it :)