Re: Porting FreeBSD's/OpenBSD's User-level ppp(8) to the Hurd

   Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 03:03:06 +0200
   From: Farid Hajji <farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net>

   > > I am interested in working on ppp for hurd.  I am curious as to what
   > > progress has been made in that direction, and if anyone is actively
   > > working on it right now?
   > I plan on working on ppp for the Hurd. Next quarter (Fall) I am taking
   > a directed study to meet a course elective (for B.S. Computer Engineering
   > at Milwaukee School of Engineering, MSOE). I plan on porting pppd as the
   > final project.
   I am also interested in seeing FreeBSD's user-level ppp(8) ported to
   the Hurd. I didn't start working on it yet, but given support from other
   people, it could be possible to do it together. The biggest problem I see
   here, is that it will be probably necessary to interface to pfinet which
   is currently in a somewhat shaky state (please correct me, if I'm wrong).

The current pfinet is indeed in a somewhat shaky state.  It seems that
threads waiting for packets to arrive, aren't woken up when they do.
Perhaps that condition isn't signalled properly.

This just begs for someone with a little patience to grab the debugger
and see what's happening.

Mark