Gnumach/Hurd on 8 MB Boxes?

Does the Hurd run with only 8 MB of RAM?

I have here a pool of i486 PCs with 8 MB of RAM and I'm planning to use
them for networked experiments with gnumach/Hurd. They are currently
running Utah's Mach4 + BSD-Lites Server very well and I'd like to repeat
the Mach4 tests on load distribution and task migration with Gnumach and
the Hurd.

One first big problem I'm encountering here, is the requirement of an
ext2fs filesystem for the Hurd in its current setup. The boxes have
currently a UFS filesystem + BSD disklabel on them and the Mach4 kernel
is running a ufs filesystem server on them. The Hurd seems to need an
ext2fs (ext2fs.static), at least to put the translator bits on. How
can I get an ext2fs on those 8 MB RAM Boxes without Linux? AFAIK, it's
not possible anymore to install Linux on machines with less than 16 MB
RAM (also, I don't have space to burn on those i486 for extra Linux
partitions). Is there any way to get the Hurd on them, even withouht Linux?

Or asked in another way: Is there a way to run a ufs server instead of
the ext2fs.static server with the Hurd on these boxes?

And speaking about memory requirements: What are they for the current
"generic" version of gnumach as present in Marcus' tar balls or .deb?
Adding a lot of linux drivers certainly did bloat up the memory hunger
of gnumach in a very troubling manner. Anyone tried gnumach recently
on a low-memory box? Is there a 'minimalistic' gnumach _binary_ available
right now?

Thank you for your help.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Administrator | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany          | farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net