Re: Mailing List traffic and membership

Am Fre, 14 Jul 2000 20:09:50 OKUJI Yoshinori Sie:
> From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 19:37:09 +0200
>
> > The graph shows that there is a steadily increasing interest in the Hurd,
> > and a decreasing amount of time for people to discuss it :)
>
>   That's interesting, but what I'm more interested in is the reason
> why the number of developers doesn't increase, even though so many
> people subscribe to the list. This is not ironical but a purely
> academic interest for me.

Well, what I gather from events etc, where a lot of people ask me about
the
Hurd is, that a lot of people are interested in the Hurd, but are not
capable (or don't feel capable) to contribute.

But I want to point out that the number of developers does increase,
but only very slow (one every few months or so). There have been
contributions by new people then and when.

>   Seriously speaking, seeing the graph, I felt I should come back to
> the Hurd development as soon as possible...

You will be welcome of course :), though I never considered you
away from Hurd development really. Grub is a part of the Hurd system
(isn't it the only bootloader that supports the multiboot standard?)