Re: hurd native install

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 05:51:52PM +0200, BlowGlass wrote:

> 	Hi!
>
> i am new to the hurd, but the fact that there's no native install for the
> hurd is something i really dislike, so my questions are :
>
> * is anybody working on a native install for the hurd
> * if not, are there any reasons it should be very hard to do

There are.
Some of them :

    (
	(
	    (
		Hurd needs multiboot-compliant bootloader,
	        =>
		Device from which Hurd is loaded must be known from BIOS
	    )
	&
	    (
		CDs and ZIPs aren't usually known from BIOS
	    )
	)
    &
        (
	    >20 Floppies aren't good way of installing anything
	)
    )
    =>
    (
        Due to hardware problems we can't install Hurd from anything
	but other OS.
    )

Other problem is that not many people here ever did boot-disks
for any system (I mean : CDs with installer etc.).
And trying to do one costs time of 500 hundred reboots
and at least 20 new CDs.