RE: runsystem

Marcus wrote:
> The Debian setup is in the above package and will set the runsystem link
> make use of it. The Hurd script is the thing you get if you don't use
Debian

Roland wrote:
> /libexec/runsystem is what gets run by /hurd/init at boot time.  It is the
> first thing run in a normal POSIX environment, and is never expected to
> exit.  It can do whatever it likes.  The hurd package has a
> /libexec/runsystem shell script that uses /libexec/rc and /libexec/runttys
> to approximate a BSD-style init.  Marcus's sysvinit package has a
> /libexec/runsystem that uses /sbin/init to give an init just like Linux
has
> (the same program, in fact).

Thanks for the clarification.  Should I read into this that the Hurd
designers envision an alternative startup sequence, departing from the rc#.d
scripts and all of the symbolic links and creative filenaming to something a
little more twentieth-century?  Or, is /libexec/rc just a sample startup
script to get someone running who doesn't have a complete distribution
available?

Kevin Musick
kmusick@teldar.com