Re: Simple Questions

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 12:16:35PM -0700, Kevin Musick wrote:
> > What start-stop-daemon does is defined by Debians dpkg. It is nothing that
> > belongs to the Hurd per se. (In other words, There are more useful things
> > to work on :)
>
> Oops.  I already wrote something that's starting to work :)  Oh well.
>
> > Everything comes from Debian (the Hurd itself uses /libexec/rc). See the
> > experimental syslogd package at alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus
>
> Where?

Sorry, I meant sysvinit (doh!)

sysvinit_2.76-5_hurd-i386.deb

> I looked in this dir but didn't see anything obvious.  I took a look
> at /libexec/rc and noticed that it calls /sbin/inetd and /sbin/syslogd
> directly.  It apparently will also start sendmail if the config file exists.
> Wouldn't this ordinarily be the responsibility of scripts under init.d?

In Debian, yes. However, my changes to get the above sysvinit where rejected
by the Debian maintainer. I don't have the time to make it as he wants and
also care about a smooth transition on linux systems (the idea being to
split the actual scripts from sysvinit binaries).

>  I'm
> not suggesting that it be changed -- I'm just curious about the overall
> startup sequence in relation to Linux (with which I am more familiar).

The Debian setup is in the above package and will set the runsystem link to
make use of it. The Hurd script is the thing you get if you don't use Debian
(eventually...).

> One more thing.  If I'd like to change the text sequence that displays just
> before the login> prompt, i.e., to give users a special message, what file
> contains that text?

Uh. Check the source :)