Re: Simple Questions

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 07:38:59AM -0700, Kevin Musick wrote:
> To those who responded to my questions regarding compilation of
> start-stop-daemon -- thanks!  I'm going to try to write my own version of
> this utility as an exercise.  Are there any features start-stop-daemon is
> missing?

What start-stop-daemon does is defined by Debians dpkg. It is nothing that
belongs to the Hurd per se. (In other words, There are more useful things
to work on :)

> Also, Hurd doesn't seem to have an /etc/inittab.  Am I missing something?  I
> noticed the directory structure of the rc files is somewhat different than
> the Linux distributions I'm familiar with.  Typically, there is an rc.d
> directory, which contains the init.d directory and the rc#.d directories.
> In Hurd (I assume it's a Debian convention), the init.d and rc#.d
> directories are in /etc and there is also an rc.boot and an rcS.d.  I'm just
> trying to understand the basic dir structure and what file the system looks
> at to determine where the startup/shutdown scripts will be located.

Everything comes from Debian (the Hurd itself uses /libexec/rc). See the
experimental syslogd package at alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus

> What is the status of X-Windows on Hurd?

You will have to find out yourself.

> It seems that there was a separate
                      is

> branch of GNU Mach that contained support for Linux char devices.  Is this
> required?  I was under the impression that it would be someday superceded by
> OSKit mach.

Does oskit mach have char device support?