A few more questions and a one more problem

Situation :

on Linux I made pthread hello world program
main thread created 100 threads and every of them printf("fu")
I did the same on Hurd with cthread

Problem :

printf () needs mutex'ing on Hurd (cthread)
It didn't need it on Linux (pthread)
And yes, I #defined _REENTRANT

Details of Behaviour :

Output contain clusters of fff's and uuu's, and its
size is always broken, sometimes *a*lot* bigger, don't remember
if ever smaller than correct size.

Question :

Is this bug with Hurd, cthread or printfing need mutexing by
definition, and I was simply lucky on Linux (run many times, always won)

And programming questions :

1. How can I send msgs to translators w/o using libc's Unix emulation ?

2. What is correct way of obtaining kbd scancodes and how far I went
   wrong trying to 'settrans /dev/kbd /hurd/storeio --no-cache kbd ; cat /dev/kbd'