Re: bcopy

Hi,

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 03:39:08PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> 1)
> Is there any reason bcopy is used in Hurd sources instead of memcpy ?
> (I have quite old sources here)

Well, I don't know if there is such a reason. Probably Thomas spent too
much time in the BSD sources :)

But let me point out that bcopy is equivalent to memmove, not memcpy
(which doesn't handle overlapping regions).

> 2)
> Is it ok to send patch to change it ?

I can't answer that for the core developers, however, is there a particular
reason beside cosmetic? Of course, if you bother to find out where memcpy
is sufficient instead memmove/bcopy, it might be a small performance
advantage.

PS: Such mails are slightly more appropriate for bug-hurd@gnu.org, where
development of the Hurd is discussed rather than the binary distribution.