Why not SSH? [was: Easy Guide Mass Update!]

 MV> a)Why don't gnu.org use ssh? it's much easier for the users

All SSH protocol version 1 implementations (including OpenSSH) use
RSA, which is patented in the US.  The only way to get around the
patent issues is to use RSAREF, which is non-free.  And so, US
citizens would have to choose between violating the US patent, or
using non-free software (other countries don't have to worry about the
patent, by and large).

SSH version 2 does not have to depend on RSA, and so truly free
implementations may be written.  The GNU Project has a free version of
SSH 2, called lsh, written by Niels Moller.  We expect to use it as
soon as it supports enough features to recommend it to other people.

The next release of lsh may satisfy this requirement, which I'm
looking forward to. :)

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://fig.org/)
Committed to freedom and diversity \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)