Re: any interest in kORbit?

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:41:28 EST, the world broke into rejoicing as
"Kleinmann, Peter G" <pklein@lehman.COM>  said:
> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-12-09-013-20-NW-GN-KN
>
> this article in LinuxToday is about a corba interface built into the
> kernel, allowing user-space servers to handle system calls, etc.

... An interesting proof of concept of what I'd consider a Pretty
Daft Idea.

It makes some sense to introduce something like this to Hurd, but
it's not likely to make it into Linux any time soon.

> I don't know how many services are already offered by the HURD, but
> kORbit sounds like a nice transitional technology for bringing in more
> services developed for linux, and for making future line enhancements
> equally available to HURD.
>
> Any thoughts?

I would think it _quite_ sensible to implement an ORB as a Hurd
service; this could provide some interesting strategies for the
implementation of things like the Implementation Repository; many
of the services could be virtualized so that they may look like
filesystems.

% cd /corba/IR
% ls
CoSNaming    CoSEvent    CoSTransaction
% cd COSNaming
% ls
CoSNaming
% cd CosNaming
% ls
structs interfaces exceptions
% cd interfaces
% ls
NamingContext  BindingIterator
% cd NamingContext
% ls
structs methods exceptions
% cd methods
% ls
bind  rebind  bind_context  resolve unbind naming_context
bind_new_context destroy  list
% cd rebind
% ls
in  out  exceptions returns
% cd in
% ls
% cat n
Name

... Which basically is demonstrating a mapping of the standard
Naming Service onto a directory structure...
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@ntlug.org") <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/>
Rules of  the Evil Overlord  #123. "If I  decide to hold a  contest of