Re: problems mounting my hurd partition

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 04:20:40PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>>      I try to mount it with:
>>
>>          mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/hurd
>>
>>      And I get the following message:
>>
>> EXT2-fs: 03:08: couldn't mount RDWR because of unsupported optional features.
>> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda8
>>        or too many mounted file systems
>>
> Mmh. That's strange, but it seems that your kernel doesn't support the
> sparse_super extension. Try  mke2fs with "-O none" instead "-O
> sparse_super". I think 2.2.18 should support this, though.

   Ok, that worked (wondering what sparse_super does, and if it will
   come back to haunt me later). Thanks.

   Now, as I wait for cross-install to download all the .deb packages,
   I'm reading the documentation at: www.pick.ucam.org/~mcv21/hurd.html

   It's saying the next step is to boot off a GRUB bootdisk, however
   I am unable to do this because on the system I'm using (an old spare
   K6-2 266mhz) the floppy controller is fried.

   The only other OS on this system is a base Debain install, with LILO
   (of course) in the master boot record. Now, I installed the hurd about
   a year or two ago, and faintly remember GRUB being a pain in the arse
   to use. I am apprehensive about installing this over LILO because if
   I screw up, I will not be able to boot of a linux rescue disk etc.

   So, my question is, will it work (installing GRUB in the MBR and using it
   to boot Linux AND Hurd).

   Is there some good GRUB documentation? (Especially on getting it to
   boot Linux relatively painlessly).

   Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

--
  -  Nick Jennings
smtp: nick@namodn.com