Re: Colour & filesystem translators

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Am Don, 30 Nov 2000 15:49:24 schrieb David Neary:
> > I compiled a custom hurd post-install, and installed an entry for it in
> > menu.lst. When I booted this new kernel & module (I also recompiled
> > GNUmach), all of the translators which were there before were no longer
> > active, and I had to re-set them.
>
> Are you talking about active or passive translators?
> Active translators always vanish when you reboot, as they are
> only processes. Passive translators never go away by themselve.

I'm talking about passive translators - things like mapping /dev/hd0s2
to /home/dave.

> It's exactly what you say. The CVS and Debian kernel differ.

Any idea if/when the relevant changes in the Debian kernel which allow
for colour will be included in the CVS kernel?

> > some extent. By the way, every time I change modules, I lose the old
> > translators.
>
> While what you said above makes sense (when you mean active translators),
> this doesn't. There are no modules in the Hurd system. You should be
> more specific on how you set the translator, and what makes you think
> they went away after doing what.

When I used "modules", I meant translators - I got this from GRUB -
"module /boot/serverboot.gz". As I said, I'm just starting to get used
to the terminology at the moment. By the way, your article on
translators at hurddocs.sourceforge.net is excellent. It went a long way
toward answering some of my sillier questions :)

> The Debian version is stripped and doesn't contain debugging symbols.

That would explain it - thanks :)

> Marcus

Dave.

--