Re: AW: Nomenclature

> > New Idea: I personally like it like  "the Borg", [...]

Isn't that just a colloquial form of "the Borg collective"? There is
no Hurd collective. Yet.

Neal H Walfield <neal@cs.uml.edu> writes:

> Thus, hurd reduces to itself.  It is used in a collective sense
> (i.e. interfaces representing depth).  Thus, it must be a collective
> noun and therefore singular.

Furthermore, "the hurd" alludes to "the herd", so I think the noun
should have the same sex as "die Herde": feminine, i.e. "die Hurd".
The pronounciation should be kept, probably ... although the
Germanization sounds cool, too (like "hoord").

Perhaps a proper translation (if one wants to do that), would be "die
H&auml;rd" [A-umlaut html-escaped to prevent breakage in ASCII-land]

--
Robbe (who is now a Hurd translator)