Re: dependency problems again

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 11:24:04PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> few packages, but now im trying to upgrade from both the debian mirror
> and alpha.gnu.org, i have about 50 broken packages.
>
> There is a new version of hurd, which depends on a new version of
> libc0.2, i believe it has unpacked these two packages, but because
> libc0.2 has changed its broken everything that depends on it.

This sounds unlikely. After all, I tested the install of libc0.2 on my
system, and it seemed to work okay. You are not providing enough information
to conclude what the trouble is you are seeing. What does dpkg say?
OTOH, libc0.2 doesn't pre-depend on libnss-db, so there could indeed be an
error scenarion.

> Im sure if i could update libc0.2 and hurd id be able to fix things, the
> libc0.2 depends on libnss, which depends on libdb2 and libdb2-utils,
> both of which depends on libc0.2.

It's easy. In cases like this, with circular dependencies, you can specify
all packages on a single command line, and dpkg will install them
simultaneously.

dpkg --install libc0.2_... libnss-db_... hurd_... etc

This also works for --configure.

If dpkg is defunct because the system is completely screwed up, you can try
to boot into linux and use ./dpkg-hurd -i something --force-depends and
similar to override the database.

> I consider myself a fairly competent debian user, but i just cant work
> the packaging system under the Hurd.

It's the same as in Linux. We are currently shaking out after a fundamental
update. I am sorry that it is causing this inconveniences to you.

There are also some dpkg bugs related to versioned dependencies on provided
packages. I currently have a dummy libc6-dev entry to fulfill versioned
dependencies on this package.

> Is it a mistake to use packages at alpha.gnu.org (are they only
> experimental), or should i have not tried to upgrade the hurd package.

It's simple a couple of rough edges after a major libc upgrade...

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de