Re: trouble with apt-get

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 08:42:06AM +0200, Petros Sidiropoulos wrote:
> Hello all
> I've downloaded packages  from a debian ftp site. Now, what should i do in order to use apt-get? How to configure sources.list file? Is it difficult? can someone help me?

You do not need to download the packages; apt does that for you.
/etc/apt/sources.list should have a reasonable default that you can work
from.  Either way, here is mine:

deb ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian unstable main
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main

Then `man apt-get' should give you the details.  Here is a quick overview:

 # apt-get update
 # apt-get install package

-Neal

--