Re: SSH patch finished & third shot at PAM

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 05:53:59PM +0100, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Speacking of which... Here's my latest effort in patching PAM.

I like this patch a lot Igor, great work!
I submitted it to the Debian maintainer (with the small typo fixed),
along with two other fixes (debhelper was unhappy about the lack of the
limits module) and I am sure we will have PAM packages soon (and if not,
I will threaten to do a NMU). We can soon re-enable the PAM support in the
various Debian packages where it was disabled for the Hurd.

> However expect some problems at the end, ld will
> complain about not being able to find -llibpam_misc which will infact be
> located in one of the -L directories, why it does that?

That's an upstream bug: It builds in the wrong order (see DIRS in Makefile).
It is also reported as #71442. I sent in a fix (reorder the subdirs to list
libpam_misc before modules).

> After that's fixed it also needs to be
> tested for any runtime problems.

I don't know how to do it, but it installs cleanly and that's okay for me.
We can then build packages which need libpam to build, which is a big plus.
(So we don't need to speial case it for the Hurd in each and every pam using
package).

> I've also started working on OpenLDAP, that's not too difficult, just several
> instances of use of MAXPATHLEN and MAXHOSTNAMELEN. It also depended on
> libsasl7 which wasn't in the archive, I've also been able to compile it for
> Hurd with minor patching. This is not yet available for public consumption
> because I haven't had time to produce an organized patch.

That's great!

> For the next couple of weeks I'll be lying low because I won't have almost any
> time for hurd related work. And in the mean time I leave you to ponder on this
> question: according to SUSv2 the maximum hostname length is 255, and there is
> no system dependent macro or runtime poll function like sysconf that modifies
> that value. So how should programs that use MAXHOSTNAMELEN be corrected for
> POSIX compliance?

You must have a different copy of susv2 than me, then:
ulysses:/floppy/pam# find /var/www/susv2 -type f -exec grep -H MAXHOST {} \;
ulysses:/floppy/pam#

Can you tell us in which section it is mentioned?

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de