Re: [Hurd-alpha-devel] Re: L4 instead of gnumach?

On 31 Oct, Farid Hajji wrote:
>>   If you just want to examine the L4 API, you might just as well use
>> L4Linux; all L4 system calls are available.  There is also a small
>> multi-server OS available for L4KA which would make interesting study
>> material.
> A small multi-server OS for L4Ka? Where? I'm running L4ka's template
> root_task inside a hacked up version of bochs and currently trying to
> figure out how to create tasks, activate threads and doing simple ipc
> between tasks without looking too much at Fiasco. A small multi-server
> application on top of L4Ka would be a breeze!

The name is ChacmOS, it is in the showroom at the L4KA site.
I assumed it to be available but may have been wrong.

> A pthread library could of course multiplex more pthreads on fewer
> kernel threads like is done in solaris. l4ka-x86 currently supports
> just 64 threads per task and 128 tasks in total, but this is mainly
> due to the format of the uids (task/thread identifiers) bit-layout
> (nr of reserved bits for the lthread and task fields). There seems
> to be enough reserved space there, so I can in theory imagine that
> increasing this limit by one, two or three powers of two may be
> possible. But as you put it, a L4 guru should speak here!

Those gurus can be found on the L4 hackers list.

64 Threads and 128 tasks....looks like an implementation for embedded
systems.

  Ad Buijsen