Re: Making an apt-able GNU/Hurd CDROM

Javier,

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Javier Viñuales Gutiérrez wrote:

> On mié, nov 01, 2000 at 11:09:23 +0000, Philip Charles wrote:
> > that all the bugs were eliminated.  IMHO Hurd is not ready for this yet.
>
> Ok, I think the same but if I can successfully make a apt-get against the
> developemnt packages of debian/hurd and his dependencies of woody, why I
> can't from the CD, it's the same idea I think (remote tree or local tree
> into the CD).

At this stage I cannot determine if apt-get and dselect work properly with
a CD.  The boot-floppies themselves work well thanks to Marcus' tarball
and I think we can leave these alone for the moment.

What I would like is a bullet-proof dselect which can be used to analyse
the dependencies of the CD file systems.  I know that apt is nicer for
installations, but I have found that dselect is a better analytical tool.

> I'd like analize the debian/hurd boot/install problem, "The Espiral
> Project" (www.laespiral.org) are making a set of boot-floppies with some
> thing like riserfs support, nparted (ncurses front-end to gnuparted),
> etc and we'd like to make any on Debian GNU/HURD. I know Debian
> GNU/HURD is in development only stage but thing like boot-floppies and
> debian-cd support of Debian GNU/HURD would help test it by many people.

I see the way forward like this;
1. Boot-floppies.  Good enough.
2. Dselect to be fully functional with a Hurd CD.  Hurd hackers needed.
3. Incorporate the dselect into the tarball.  Marcus.
4. Identify the needed packages for the dselect install.
5. Make certain that the needed packages work.  Hurd hackers needed.
6. Produce a CD.
7. Ensure that installations via network and HD can be made.  Hurd
	hackers needed.
8. Release Hurd 0.1 - this could be minimal, but it would work.

I could see myself being involved in 4 & 6 above.

What would be helpful would be another category "Priority: experimental"
for unstable/unproved packages.  This would mean that the file system
could contain two or more versions of a package, eg "Priority: required"
and "Priority: experimental".  This would remove the neccessity of having
a frozen file system.  However, this is a policy matter and would need
considerable discussion.

Phil.