RE: Patch: Accessing the CD-ROM == Bad

> > After further experimentation I am convinced that the patch adding
> > masks to the partition handling serves no purpose other than to
> > make it impossible for the Hurd to read slave drives.
>
> Have you seen the real patch by OKUJI Yoshinori?

Yes -- this is the patch I am talking about.  We have discussed it off-list
a bit as well.

> > Unfortunately, the only purpose this patch serves is to completely
> > cripple "slave" drives on each IDE controller.
>
> Yes, I really have no idea how Linux or Mach or Hurd or VMWare works.

I suspect the true problem is either:
1.  VMWare has a bug

-or-

2.  There is a bug in the GNUmach code that handles CD-ROMs.

Marius -- please be sure not to update to the upcoming 1.5-6 GNUmach,
as it will render your CD-ROM drive unusable.  We (Okuji,Marcus, and I)
decided to back the patch out.

So, let's see if we can find the true cause.  In the meantime, if you
don't upgrade your GNUmach, or save it as "/boot/gnumach-cd.gz" or
something we can try to debug it.

Could you tell me about your system configuration (in terms of the
IDE controllers, disk drives, CD-ROM drives) and so forth?  I
don't care about network cards, sound cards, etc.  Just IDE/SCSI
drives and who is a CD-ROM versus a disk drive, etc.

I'm going to try to do some code-staring and see if I can understand
why the CD-ROM is not being recognized.

Once you've backed up your "good" gnumach, it would be helpful if you
would boot with the "new" 1.5-6 gnumach and copy down the boot
messages (anything talking about the hd0, hd1, hd2 or CD-ROM drive).

You can catch this information if you boot using the command-line
GRUB interface:

#> root=(hd0,0)
#> kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz
#> module=/boot/serverboot.gz

Not that I'm not giving a "root" parameter to gnumach, so it will
ask you which drive to use.  This will pause the scrolling so you
can note down what it's saying.  Usually it's something like:

hd1s: 1 2 3 4 <5 6>

For all your partitions, etc.

Once I understand your setup, I can try to trace the code.  I'm going
to try to do it soon (before my newly-gained knowledge of the IDE
code slips out of my head) ;-)

Thanks,

-Brent