Re: kmsg --- get the boot messages

Am Son, 24 Sep 2000 19:52:34 schrieb OKUJI Yoshinori:
> From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
> Subject: kmsg --- get the boot messages
> Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 16:59:46 +0200
>
> > The ^C indicates that you need to press CTRL-C to exit, because
> > the read blocks. Also, the buffer is FLUSHED, so you can only read once.
>
>   So we should port klogd to Hurd, so that we can see kernel messages
> as many times as we like. This shouldn't be difficult.

The syslogd in inetutils has (or will have) support for the
kernel log device.
(I think the default here is /dev/log, so should we change to
settrans /dev/log /hurd/streamdev/kmsg ?).

An extra klogd is superfloous. (The linux people say that it is
needed to avoid loss of messages, but I don't know. Another feature
in the linux klogd is to use the system map to decode addresses).

I am not positive about the current version, but the version of
syslogd in CVS of inetutils has this support.

> > There are other character devices in gnumach. For example, kbd and mouse.
> > But the reason that there are special translators for them is that
> > they need some special treatment. For example, you need to be able
> > to set the keyboard in event mode, using a ioctl().
>
>   That's not a good reason. Our plan was to add loadable module
> support into streamdev and storeio, so the user could do like
> "settrans /dev/mouse /hurd/streamdev --special=psaux" instead of
> writing one translator for each device. But this isn't implemented
> yet, since I started working on GRUB rather than Hurd, and Roland also
> had other (possibly more important) things.

Ah, that sounds great. I didn't knew this, but it makes sense.

We also need to decide on the external kbd interface and make
it official (somewhere in <mach/i386/kd.h> or so). Several programs
are shipping their own version already.