Re: Unix syscall under the Hurd

 BF> The MzScheme software package makes use of the UNIX "syscall"
 BF> function.
[...]
 BF> But under the Hurd, these defines are not available.  I assume
 BF> they probably map 1:1 with the Linux variety, but the fact that
 BF> they are not present makes me somewhat concerned that there may
 BF> be more going on than I am aware of.

 BF> Can someone comment on the availability of these syscall
 BF> mappings?

``Syscall'' is another name for ``kernel trap.''  The syscalls for
Mach are completely different than the ones for Linux or other
unices.

The only portability provided by the Hurd is the Posix interfaces
defined by the GNU C Library.  You should see if MzScheme has been
ported to Posix, and if not, suggest that they define a port that uses
`read (...)' rather than `syscall (... read ...)'.

That's a basic Unix portability guideline: don't use syscalls.

Good luck,

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://fig.org/)
Committed to freedom and diversity \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)